Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sweet Little Baby Kelsen... 5 Days old


This past Saturday, April 25th, an adorable little bundle of a person was born. 7 lbs. 7oz. and 20.5 inches of little person to be exact! And just 5 days later, I got to meet little Kelsen Michael and all his cuteness!


I have to say... what an angel! Kelsen did amazing during his session. He stayed asleep for most of the time, perfectly content to let us mold and shape him and place him in all these places to take pictures around the house. When he did wake up, he opened his little eyes for me and we got to take some awake images as well.


Kelsen's big sister, Gabby, is 2 and she's still not real sure what to think about this new baby brother thing. We spent some time trying to convince her to give her baby brother a kiss, or touch his head and feel his soft hair... nope- nice try! Ha! We did however convince her to get in the crib with him and turn on his mobile for him, and for just a slight second on her way out... she found his toes and made sure to point them out to mommy. ;) Too cute...


Honestly, I don't remember the last time a newborn session went so well. It's sort of the nature of this type of session to have absolutely no expectations as to what's going to happen! As a photographer, I've learned, I can't plan to take certain types of shots, and I certainly have learned patience! Sometimes the brand new babes cry throughout the entire visit, other times all they want to do is stretch and contort their bodies in the oddest shapes now that they're free of the confines of mom's womb. But I've learned to take time, enjoy the baby and the visit with mom and just take pictures of whatever may come during our time together. (This is also why I usually allow 3 or 4 hours minimum in my schedule so that I have no where else to be! That way, we can take whatever time we need!)
Now Kelsen had a few tricks up his sleeve, don't get me wrong! haha... Araceli, Kelsen's mom, had these adorable cloth diapers for us to use. (I think I need to buy a few for the studio, they were awesome!) Because he's still so little, we decided not to use the liner in them because they just seemed so bulky on his tiny person. Well of course, we managed to have a terribly messy pooping incident in his crib. We got to change out the crib sheets, put him in a new diaper, etc. and what do you know... while I was holding him for mom while she got the bed straightened up, he filled another one! Should've known..... hahaha....! So we were down to the last one of his cute cloth diapers as we finished up the pictures, just hoping he'd make it through. We were just glad it didn't happen while he was naked! (that happens often, too... we just got lucky...!)


And this next image is the very last shot I took that day. I was saying goodbye, collecting my things, and he just looked so cute! I couldn't resist! I had to take just ONE more... :) And Araceli was right, it's one of my favorites of the shoot... :)

5 comments:

jules said...

Beautiful job! I love real newborn shoots that happen within the first week. So tiny!

Rachael Earl said...

Gorgeous! Love the first one especially!

Dusty said...

Great job Girly! I love the chair. Great light and colors. Plus it's so good to see that you love to blog again! HAHA ;)

Beaton Photography said...

I love all of these photos, but ESPECIALLY the first one....he looks like a little angel in that sweet light!

Unknown said...

These shots are beautiful. How about you move to Texas and take shots of my next little one that comes along :)

I love the first one of the baby in the chair in all his glory. So cute!