Sunday, December 2, 2007

Portraits in Hawaii - The Ohana Family

Oh, Hawaii, how I miss you so! I haven't had a chance to talk about our wonderful trip to Hawaii at the beginning of October. My husband and I went down for an event with friends who recently moved back to the island (more on that later, because there are more pictures to come.) Not only did we get a little mini vacation, but we also got to shoot a family portrait session on a complete whim. Okay, let me explain. I am completely obsessed with an online photography forum called Open Source Photo. A couple of weeks before our trip, another photographer mentioned that she had a friend looking for a photographer in Hawaii, during the exact dates of our trip. Leave it to me to offer to work during our vacation, but what could be more fun than working and shooting a family in a place as beautiful in Hawaii?! There are lots of talented photographers that frequent this forum, and I figured that at least a few of them were actually from Hawaii. So, I thought that my chances were slim, but I figured that I would throw my name in the hat as well. Next thing I know, I get a call from the Ohana's, and we set it all up to meet on our first full day on the island. Not only were we in a beautiful place, but what an adorable family! The girls were a complete riot, and both had completely different personalities. We couldn't keep the oldest out of the water (as you can tell), while the baby didn't want anything to do with the water or the sand. We photographed at the Temple in Laie, and proceeded to a nearby beach that Darrell and I had scoped out earlier in the afternoon. The light was just perfect, and shooting on the beach presented a whole new set of fun challenges. Darrell had to watch my back to make sure that I didn't get taken out by a wave, or, in the least, drench my camera! Well, I'm not used to watching out for waves :) We had a really wonderful time getting to know these guys, and I have to say thank you to Shannon Hodson of Lucky Red Hen for setting me up with this opportunity. Shannon really has some amazing work, and I took it as a huge compliment that she would recommend me. So again, thank you! Of course, I'm posting a few pictures, and you can CLICK HERE for a slideshow.
P.S. Watch out everyone, I think we have our next star photographer in the works! Isn't this adorable?!

2 comments:

LuckyRedHen said...

Yay! I'm so glad to see that everything worked out so well! The images are BEAUTIFUL (the first and last are my favs but all the in-betweens are priceless too) and the slideshow was really fun. Thanks for the shout out!

Andrew said...

Erin these pictures are awesome. What a great opportunity to photograph a family in Hawaii. I hope your trip went well and that you guys have a great holiday season. Talk to you soon.