Wednesday, April 15, 2009

An unexpected first wedding...

Well I thought that my first wedding of the year was going to be coming up next Friday in Cancun, but a few weeks ago I got that call... the call of panic and need from a fellow photographer. It's bound to happen to everyone, Murphy's law pretty much guarantees it. And honestly, as a photographer, it's the king of thing you actually have nightmares about during wedding season. You are a wedding photographer, the only person in charge of capturing the day's once in a lifetime memories for all of prosperity... and you wake up sick. And I'm not just talking about a little cough or feeling slightly under the weather. We're talking about flat out, can't stand up, throwing up, shaking, fever, I want my mommy kind of sickness. Not something that you could "suck up & deal" with or anything like that. The stuff we fear is anything that will absolutely prevent you from being any sort of functioning human being, let alone to perform any kind of quality service. SO this is where that phone call comes in. My good friend Dusty, of Volkel Image, finally had it happen to him. Now while I had experienced a similar situation a couple years back, he and his wife Michelle had never had anything come about that would prevent them from doing their job like this. And when I answered the phone, poor Michelle sounded like she was just about ready to cry. (either that or she was going to have a panic attack) ;)

Luckily, I completely understand the scenario and the kind of worry that goes along with it. I mean, really, you feel devastated! But, there is nothing you can do! Life happens, and luckily we met each other in a group meant to help with just this sort of problem! We both belong to Mile High Photographers, a group of photographers from all over Colorado. We meet monthly and talk business and share stories and ideas and I've formed some absolutely amazing friendships through this group. It's also such an essential part to my business! It's not as though we have co-workers to turn to for assistance, so when something like this comes up, it's so important that I have trusted, extremely skilled photographer friends that I can trust. And really, there are so many people in that group that I would trust with even my own wedding! Luckily on this day, I got to help out someone else! Dusty was extremely sick, so since I had the day free, I was more than happy to help!!

I'm so glad that it worked out so well! Mark & Marci were absolutely fabulous. Not only are they a wonderful couple, but they were entirely understanding of the situation. Michelle came along to keep things straight and to 2nd shoot. The day turned out great! I've told Dusty that anytime he wants to get sick and pass on fabulous clients like Marci & Mark, he's more than welcome to!! :)

Since I passed the images along to Dusty & Michelle right away and these guys are their clients, I swiped these images off their blog. So these are of course all images I took, and they have been beautifully processed by Michelle. :) Hey, at least someone was blogging what I was shooting!





The wedding was held on the gorgeous campus of the University of Denver, with the ceremony at the Evans Chapel and the reception in the Tuscany Ballroom. It was the perfect setting for a perfect celebration. To Marci & Mark- Thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of your day (even though it's not exactly what you had anticipated!) I wish you many, many years of laughter and happiness in your lives together. Congrats!

4 comments:

Joey's Photography said...

Well done!! Great images. It just shows how important it is for Photographers to have a "buddy system" going in their area. You may never need this but if it happens the bride won't be left high and dry.

Rachael Earl said...

Gorgeous details, and that shot of her in front of the window is so so so beautiful!

KamRoss said...

Love the new blog look and the posts! Glad you were able to cover for Dusty. Great pics as always.

ohana photographers said...

beautiful erin!! love love lovin the deets!